Thursday, February 10, 2011

My user experience of the Kindle 3G

This past Christmas I received the most unexpected gift, a kindle with a gift card attached. It sat on my desk for a bit unopened. Every so often I stared at it and wondered is it really time for me to enter the digital world of books??? I, like many other hand held book people prefer to turn pages and physically hold a book. Well, this all changed when I finally decided to open the box and give it a test run. I am after all a soon-to-be librarian who should embrace technological innovation and be open to trying new technologies, right?
I unpackaged the very nice hand held device and plugged it in. After my Kindle charged, I read the instructions, went onto Amazon.com and purchased my very first book Decision Points by George W. Bush. I received it in less than two minutes! A huge plus. Having used my Kindle for a few weeks, I felt it was time to share with y'all my Kindle experience…
Pros:
1. Smooth, light, and easy to hold hand held device.
2. Access to an electronic dictionary while you read, very nice.
3. Screen is easy to read and not bright at all whatsoever, reads like a book.
4. Allows you to create and view bookmarks, notes, and highlights.
5. Supports PDF files with limitations.
6. Reader secrecy: know body knows what you are reading.
Cons:
1. Kindle Terms of Service does not allow me to borrow books from my library…A big boo!
2. The page numbers are whacky, rather than 1-300, pages have this notation 3935-43. Not cool.
3. You have to sync the furthest page read or else it returns you to your last bookmark after navigating away from the book. I much rather prefer a one step button to press automatically marking the last page I read.

I have yet to download a PDF file for I am a new Kindle user, and even though I am unable to borrow a library e-book, I still love my new gadget. Yay, for technology!
FYI, Project Gutenberg has free e-books you can download not only onto your Kindle but also iPad, Nook, Android, iphone, or ipod! Check it!

No comments: